The Circuit Playground is full of built-in features that can be used in a wide variety of projects. It includes 8 non-power pads to be used as capacitive touch pads or for GPIO, 10 ‘NeoPixels, tactile pushbuttons, a slide switch, ambient light sensor, NTC thermistor temperature sensor, MEMS microphone to detect audio levels, and the LIS3DH 3-axis XYZ accelerometer detecting tilt, gravity, motion, as well as 'tap' and 'double tap' strikes on the board.
The Circuit Playground features an ATmega32u4 processor. The board is round and has alligator-clip pads so no soldering required. Power it up from a USB, a AAA battery pack, or with a Lipoly battery (for advanced users). Just program your code into the board then take it and go!
Circuit Playground has built-in USB support which means you plug it in to program it and it just shows up. All you really need is a Micro-B data/sync USB cable - not included! With the new 1.6.4+ Arduino IDE, it takes only a few seconds to add support. The Circuit Playground has USB HID support, so it can act like a mouse or keyboard and attach directly to computers.
The Developer Edition of Circuit Playground is designed for people who have a little experience with Arduino already, who want to help build & document projects. There might be minor hardware or software bugs.
- ATmega32u4 Processor, running at 3.3V and 8MHz
- MicroUSB port for programming and debugging with Arduino IDE
- USB port can act like serial port, keyboard, mouse, joystick or MIDI
- 10 x mini NeoPixels, each one can display any color
- 1 x Motion sensor (LIS3DH triple-axis accelerometer with tap detection, free-fall detection)
- 1 x Temperature sensor (thermistor)
- 1 x Light sensor (phototransistor)
- 1 x Sound sensor (MEMS microphone)
- 1 x Mini speaker (magnetic buzzer)
- 2 x Push buttons, left and right
- 1 x Slide switch
- 8 x alligator-clip friendly input/output pins
Includes I2C, UART, and 4 pins that can do analog inputs/PWM output
- All 8 pads can act as capacitive touch inputs
- Green "ON" LED so you know its powered
- Red "#13" LED for basic blinking
- Reset button